Sunday, January 29, 2012

Home Sweet Home

If I may, I'm going to digress for a day or two.  You all know I'm getting married, and that my sisters wedding is only a few weeks away. All of this wedding stuff has been all consuming for the past few weeks so I'm going to take a moment to write about it. (This may be more like "vent about it" I should warn you).

I had made plans to go home this weekend to take care of a few routine errands: get the car inspected, do laundry, and as a plus tackle a few wedding plans. As the wedding approaches a mere 6 months away (!!!!) I figured it was time to actually get myself in gear and cross some things off my list. Well, there's nothing like a huge oversight on your part to light that fire to get get you going. 

For those of you who don't know, I'm from a pretty small town in upstate NY. When I say pretty small I mean every bit of it.  Surprisingly enough, we happen to have 10 hotels within a 5 mile radius for what seems like no tourists. Why on earth would a town have so many hotels then right? It would be because one time of year (and one time of year only) the population of my town nearly triples.  What epic event could possibly bring that many people in?? Well, I thought it would be my wedding but it is in fact NASCAR... yes you read that right. A Jumpsuit wearing, "I wanna go fast" NASCAR race that is held in the outskirts of my town has every hotel even 3 towns over completely booked more than a year and half in advance.

I some how managed to book my wedding the same weekend...Its ok, you should be laughing at me at this point.

After a few frantic phone calls, a few tears, and several hours of driving, I'm confident the crisis has been averted. With a little bit of logistical maneuvering It seems like everything will be ok.... fingers crossed.  I'm praying that this is the one big thing that will inevitably go wrong with the wedding planning process. If I got that out of the way now with this, I will be completely happy.  On top of figuring that out, I set myself up to cross several more things off my list over the next two weeks or so, so I'm feeling much much better about the whole situation. 

And since it's killing me not to be able to talk about what I'm wearing at the wedding, I'll take this opportunity to talk a little about where I'm getting married. 


The ceremony will be in the church I grew up in. I've always loved how beautifully ornate my church was. Even if it was just a small church in a small town, every time I walked in there it made me feel like I was in a fancy basilica.  It means a lot to me that I get to start my future somewhere that played such a big part in my past.

Our reception is almost on the complete opposite end of the spectrum.  It's an antique dairy  barn practically in the middle of no where. On the many drives Joe and I would make crossing Western NY to the Southern Tier barns like these are scattered left and right in between our two houses. Having the reception in this space almost feels like meeting in the middle. (Can you tell I'm a Cancer who attaches sentimental value to everything, haha)..


Now that wedding planning is a reality I've never been more simultaneously stressed and excited.... I'm sure this isn't the last you'll hear of it.

3 comments: