Monday, August 22, 2011

Happy Birthday Padre!

Today is a rather special day, that I think deserves a rather special post- it happens to be my Dad's birthday!  Now, while I see my blog as the perfect venue to publicly plug how much I love my dearest father (that's why I'm his favorite) it also has relevance.
Dad and I

There are a lot of things I've gotten from my father. My complexion, I've been told my smile, and (as much as I hate it sometimes) even my legs.  Aside from the physical attributes, I think I've also received quite a few of his personality traits (or so I like to tell myself, because if I received even a fraction of his character, I would be that much better of a person). I definitely get my sense of humor from my dad... for better or worse. More importantly I've received my dad's appreciation for humor, and it's importance in life.  I would hope that I've received his sense of understanding, and patience. I think those traits are still developing in me everyday, but they will undoubtedly never reach the saintly level of my father (having to live with 5 girls might have something to do with his higher than human levels of each).  My father also generously passed down his "get up and go" sense of spontaneity and adventure on to me. There are few places I wouldn't explore, and often end up doing so on very short notice.  
Dad and I over 20 years earlier... Clearly not much has changed

Then there are of course the things I wish he passed on... like the ability to rock grey hair flawlessly, (not that I have to worry about that yet! I just know I won't be so lucky!) and unrivaled dedication... to faith, family, and work. Even if that means no sleep, 7:30 am Mass every Sunday, or picking out all of the chocolate chips from cookie dough ice cream (for ahem, certain daughters) during Lent when they've given up chocolate.

Adidas Mens Digital Watch in Black

One thing I don't think he would ever guess in a million years though, is how he's influenced my wardrobe.  My dad is a t-shirt and jeans guy through and through, so inevitably I am always over dressed in my father's eyes. Even when I swear I just threw on a comfy dress, he always comments on how "fancy" I look. In spite of his own tastes however, he has supported me through the ups and downs of my consistently changing style.   One thing has remained constant though over the past several years, and that would be the permanent fixture on my left wrist.... a men's digital watch.  You may have noticed throughout my blog posts, no matter what I'm wearing, I always seem to have that big black watch on. This is something definitely inspired by my father.   For as long as I can remember he has worn some version or another of a black calculator watch. Whether it be Timex or Casio or something in between, my  dad has not only always been able to give the time to anyone who asks, but he can also tell you what 452 divided by .0357 is in the same breath. The watch I wear almost daily isn't a calculator watch (YET... I say yet, because i'm having a hard time letting go of my current one- I've grown quite attached- but more on this in a minute), but it is a multi-functional black digital men's watch that  I wear almost with out fail, because I'm always trying to be a little more like Dad. 
Adidas White Calculator Watch

Now, the reason I said "YET"... While that calculator might be something I've poked fun of my dad for, It's something I've always loved about him and I've always secretly found (shhhh, don't tell anybody!) cool.  Not everybody can wear a calculator on their wrist and still be considered far from a nerd. My dad does this remarkably well, so I figured, we are so alike in so many other ways why not me.  So, over the past year or so I've made it a mission to find one of my own. I of course had to put my own spin on it so Dad didn't think he had a total copy cat on his hands... I wanted the infamous calculator watch in white. (GASP!) I'm happy to announce my friends, I finally have it (thanks to another special man).  Just a few short weeks ago this white calculator watch by Adidas entered my possession.  I've swapped out the original black one a few times, but like I said earlier, I'm having a hard time breaking habit. This not so little timepiece is quickly making its way into steady contention however.  And, whether it's on my wrist or on my nightstand every time I look at it I always think of my Dad which, makes it more special than even the watch itself can calculate. 

1 comment: