Monday, August 15, 2011

Fall's Fashion Forecast

As if dressing mannequins at work in sweaters and tights wasn't a big enough hint, the shorter days and cooler evenings have begun to remind me that fall is just around the corner. While I thrive in the heat of the summer, and despise the cold (in spite of the fact that I have lived my entire life surviving one brutal winter after the other in the Northeast) I happen to LOVE the fall fashion season. It's actually my favorite.  So, with the trends in full preview this week, I thought I'd do a little highlight on some of my favorite fall trends... and one I'm still deciding on.

"Lady Chic" seems to be the phrase that can sum up your fall fashion season. Pieces are polished, delicate, and sophisticated. The best ones seem to have a decidedly classic feel. Everyone from Aquilino.Rimondi to Zac Posen introduced a more feminine look for fall.
Aquilino.Rimondi Fall 2011 from Style.com
Zac Posen Fall 2011 from Style.com

I have to say that both Elie Saab and Donna Karen's take on the classically feminine woman for the fall is amazing... nostalgically vintage but with modern touches that add interest, movement, and even a bit of austerity to otherwise dainty silhouettes.

Elie Saab Fall 2011 from Style.com
Donna Karan Fall 2011 from Style.com
Shades of  wine seem take this look to that next level of luxury. Bordeaux, Cabernet, Shiraz any which way you call it these intoxicating hues are rich and complementary on nearly every skin tone. Paired back to pops of red, or even jade you end up with a luxe look that's fresh and flattering.
Oscar de la Renta Fall 2011 from Style.com

Nina Ricci Fall 2011 from Style.com
Gucci Fall 2011 from Style.com
You'll also notice, the traditional pointed toe flat pump is now popping up all over the runways. This is the one I haven't quite decided on yet, but they are definitely making a come back.

Now, I knew I had the pumps in my closet from circa 2002... I figured I'd dust them off for the day and give them another shot. But what to wear for that modern lady like look? Then it donned on me.. no one, (and I mean no one) knows "Lady Chic" better than Valentino. As the oldest "Emperor" in the biz, he has spent 45 years perfecting, defining, and redefining classic femininity at its finest. In fact, he has such a long and rich history, I'll be saving that for a post entirely on its own this week. It just so happens I have a pair of  Valentino silk chiffon tapered pant with tortoise shell button  detailing and grosgrain ribbon waistline from many moons ago. Nothing is quite as feminine as silk chiffon, so combining that with Valentino's sense of proportion and draping and they are the perfect pant for keeping on par with the seasons biggest trend.... and luckily for me they also happen to be a lovely shade of Zinfandel (no no no, not like the horribly pink white Zinfandel from a box, but a true inky purple Zinfandel). Topped off with a silky black top also by Valentino, I was feeling perfectly on trend (albeit a little a head of schedule).

The perfect thing about this "Lady Chic" outfit, is that its perfect just on its own, the accessories and layering can be kept to a minimum because the subtle details found on the pockets and pleats of the pants, or the twisted rope detailing in the top speak for themselves. However, it's easy to throw on a few simply pieces and take the look from day to night.




Adding a simple jacket can complete the "Lady Chic" perfect for work. Your professional, polished, and put together (the three p's your looking for in workplace attire) This tweed and lace jacket by Rebbecca Taylor has just the right amount of delicate touches and a slightly throw back silhouette to make the perfect accompaniment.



If this girly look is a little too cloying for your taste, I get it. I like a little dichotomy in life, I like my outfits to have a little contrast in some way or another. A great way to add a bit of an edge to something utterly effeminate look is to add a few masculine touches. A little metal and leather can go along way. Pewter hued accessories and a suede fringed vest provide just the right amount of contrast.



I have to say, I'm pretty excited for what the fall fashion season has to offer. The big trends are universal, every girl can pull them off in one way or the other, and what's nice, is as you can see by me dragging out shoes from 2002, they are trendy pieces that can extend way beyond the life of a trend. 

2 comments: