Monday, August 8, 2011

A Grand Change of Pace

I should warn you before you go any further, this is a pretty photo heavy post. If it takes forever to load, my advanced apologies. I think it'll be worth it if you bear with me though.

I should also give the disclaimer, I'm not talking about a designer, or fashion really at all in this post. As much as I love getting all dressed up and would love to throw on that perfect cocktail dress and pumps every night, believe it or not, I spend a considerable amount of my free time in a well-weathered pair of Northface hiking sneakers. While I do most of my hiking in the Northeast among pine trees and peaceful babbling brooks I figured It was about time I kicked it up a notch.... I needed a bit of an adventure, and a drastic change of scenery.

I also needed a bit of Zen in my life. There are times every now and then where you need the world to stop, if not for the days you wish it could, then a few hours, or at the very least a few moments. When the usual tactics for finding your center (or whatever it is you want to call it) seem to be completely derailed by life in general. It's times like this when sometimes it's necessary to get away from it all, and plant yourself in a place where you realize there's a grander scheme in life, where you can't help but think of absolutely nothing else other than what's in front of you and embrace that singular present moment. Where you can let the epic visual impact wash every other thought away.

There are are few places more perfect for that than the Grand Canyon, which is where I planted myself.  Planted is the wrong word, given there was a considerable amount of walking involved. I took a much needed hike down the South Rim to Cedar Ridge, and back up.  After which I perched myself on the edge to gaze upon an awe inspiring sunset. Both the hike and the sunset, were exactly what I needed and an experience I will never forget. So without me rambling on too much longer... I hope you get a a taste of that refreshing quiet I experienced in the Canyon  while going through pictures from the trip.... and you can see that though you may have to wear sneakers and a sports bra.... it isn't a total "look" loss. Wearing a breathable boho top, a belt with detachable pouch (2011's modern version of a fanny pack) topped off with effortless "dirty hippie" hair actually makes for an on (spring/summer) trend earth child communes with nature look.

So without further adieu...

The view on the South Kaibab Trail






Just for sense of scale, that's a person sitting under the tree
The trail itself went through several changes in terrain over a relatively short distance... definitely a fun"reverse" hike you feel more than accomplished after completing. The deeper into the Canyon you go, the redder and rockier it gets. 





I was surprised at how much vegetation there was too... 





And of course the textures in the rock formations were incredible...



A nice overlook at Cedar Ridge, a common turnaround point on the trail. There was an amazing uprooted tree on the plateau... of course that means a necessary narcissistic photo shoot is involved. 







And after the strenuous hike back up the to Canyon rim... a breathtaking sunset was my reward







Everyone I talked to prior to going to the Grand Canyon said it was a life changing experience, so I went in with pretty high expectations. Whatever I imagined it would be actually paled in comparison to reality... that doesn't happen often. It was so much better than I could have imagined, I just wish I had so much more time there... but I'll cherish that little moment of clarity forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment