Monday, July 11, 2011

The Circle of Life and Circle Skirt

Summer means a lot of different things for different people.  If you’re a member of the Broderick family summer usually mean lots of travel, and a massive family BBQ at my Aunt Maureen’s house.  As  our family gets larger (and as you will see as you continue reading, “larger” is an understatement) and we all get just a little bit older this gathering only gets more and more fun. It always ends up being one of my favorite and most memorable days of the year.  
My Grandma brought quite the special treat with her this year! In addition to her famous broccoli salad she brought out a Modern Jr. by Gale & Gale skirt she had worn on her honeymoon! It was astonishing on so many levels! First, it was just simply stunning.  The beautiful floral pattern dances across the cream circle skirt in lively hues of lilac, pink and cobalt.  Quilted waves create another dynamic layer to the skirt that you can’t help but to twirl in.

Second, it was in beyond remarkable condition! Even after 56 years (yes, that’s right, 56!) the skirt looks like I could have pulled it off the rack today.  It’s the perfect vintage summer skirt.  There was no way I could leave without trying it on. 
Being in that skirt, standing next to my Grandma and looking across the yard at my brand new nephew (the first in the family) it’s hard not to think about how our family has grown.  It was also hard to wrap my head around the fact that it all started with just two people. When my Grandfather and Grandmother (assuredly looking amazing in that phenomenal skirt) walked hand in hand through the Fountain Blue in Miami 56 years ago on their honeymoon, I believe it must have been hard to imagine four generations later the tremendous (as in both fantastic and enormous) family they would create.
It’s probably easiest to grasp in pictures, so I’ll tell the story that way.
This striking woman, Veronica McNiff married John Broderick in October of 1955.
The expansion of the family quickly began. My dad was the first of EIGHT children to come over the next 10 years.
Then came the in-laws…. Or the “out-laws” as they like to joke.
Then came the grandchildren… in droves. From 1983 to 2009 there was rarely a time when a baby wasn’t being born.
And then, in 2010 we welcomed the first of the 4th generation, Ethan. Not only is he my nephew and Godson, he’s also the most important person in my life under 3 feet tall. He’s the most perfect little nugget whose two-toothed smile and curly- cued Mohawk melt my heart like no other.  
(P.S. I’ll be doing a post on this dress a little later)
It’s still a little mind boggling to think of my tres chic Grandmother as a GREAT Grandmother...

Or to see my own (also superbly well-dressed) Godmother with my Godson.

But, now I see where I got my fascination with fashion from. I clearly descended from quite the stylish family tree! A tree that all started with an extraordinary woman who is not only someone I look up to for her unparalleled capacity for love, faith, and dedication (hopefully she has passed on a few of those genes this way too!) but as a personal style icon.

2 comments:

  1. doing great with your website coleen



    amelia :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Coleen- what a beautiful post! The Brodericks have taken up huge space in my heart since even before the outlaw days! What a loving chronicle of an amazing legacy of love! Love to you all, always..oxkr

    ReplyDelete