Monday, June 27, 2011

Rag & Bone

As of late I seem to be going through a bit of a quarter life crisis. I keep feeling like I should have accomplished so much more by now, but what exactly that is has totally evaded me.  Career wise I couldn’t be happier. I have a job I absolutely love, but when you ask me about next steps, I currently have no idea what that entails.  So, with my completely unnecessary anxiety welling up, I figured I would take this week to look at two guys who actually figured out what their passion was (even if later in life) and actually built their own opportunities surrounding it.  I’m talking about the creators of the New York based fashion label Rag & Bone.

While the Rag & Bone story officially started in 2002, it unofficially goes back much, much longer than that. Marcus Wainright and David Neville the company's co-owners and co-creative directors actually met in boarding school in the Berkshires (they are in fact British, and very proud of it).  Their friendship blossomed after sometime in Portugal before entering University where they worked at the same bar.  The two went to different Universities and studied different things yet still remained close friends.
This is where my appreciation for the Rag & Bone story comes in.  Contrary to what you may expect, neither of the English blokes attended Central Saint Martins (As you might expect of any well known British designer). Neither even studied fashion! In fact, it wasn’t even on their radar. Marcus ended up setting up his own telecom company after graduation, and David went into investment banking. 

It was only a matter of time before Marcus became fed up with London’s notorious weather, and set his sights on much warmer Mexico.  There, he met his wife and the couple made New York their permanent home (so much for escaping the weather!) Now, the Rag & Bone wheels start turning. It was here that he set up the company. 
Marcus Wainwright of Rag & Bone
On a side note before I go further: I should specify that what I appreciate is the spontenaity involved, the ability to have a feeling and roll with it, to not be afraid of where it might take you.  I’ve always admired people who have that in them. As my coworker (and fellow Cancerian) often mention, it isn’t an angel or devil that sits on our shoulders it’s those pesky bugs “Fear & Doubt” that buzz in my ear all day long.  It’s a blessing and a curse. It drives me to go that extra mile to be successful, but sometimes it makes me play life close to the hip.  So, when someone is actually able to say, “I hate the weather, I’m going to move” and follow through (and create incredible success from it to boot) I will forever admire (and be slightly envious of) you.  Sorry, that was probably way more of a personal aside than you guys signed up for. Now back to the fashion!
Shortly after, Marcus asked his best friend David to lend his financial skills and sense of style to the company.  At first David worked from London on the side, but it didn’t take long for him to follow in Marcus’ footsteps. David left his investment banking job in London and joined Marcus full time in New York. 
David Neville of Rag & Bone
In the early stages of the company, they duo hadn’t quite planned out what direction they wanted to go. For a while, it seemed sneakers were in their future, (before that Marcus had envisioned Rag & Bone as a sandwich shop!) but it was denim that would set the foundation for the brand which now has full men’s and women’s collections.  The twosome wanted to make a great pair of dark denim, that they would wear themselves. Thus, the next step in the Rag & Bone adventure began.  Kentucky, believe it or not was actually one of the largest denim manufacturing hotspots at the time. So, Marcus and David made Kentucky kind of like a second home (though living out of a motel) in order to learn directly from the manufacturers what goes into making the perfect pair of jeans. By working directly with the craftsmen who have been doing just that nearly their whole lives, the two learned the ins and outs of creating a masterfully produced garment, and developed an appreciation for quality and attention to detail that they themselves perfected for two years before actually launching their first collection in 2004.
Currently, Rag & Bone has earned a reputation for easy, ultra-wearable sportswear.  They have a distinctly “British tailored” aesthetic that imparts a clean, crisp feeling to their understated garments.  It has also earned them quite the celebrity following on both the men’s and women’s front and a CFDA award for men’s wear in 2007.
Jennifer Garner wearing Rag & Bone

Jon Hamm in Rag & Bone

Their clothing philosophy (as well as the fact that Marcus and David seem to be two of the most down to earth guys in the industry) have made an avid fan out of me as well.  One of the pieces in my wardrobe that sees frequent rotation these days is Rag & Bone’s  Stam Romper in Nude. On me, it is actually really close to nude, I could almost disappear behind it.  What’s nice though is that while it is nearly identical to the color of my fair skin, it has a strong yellow undertone, which plays off my own rose hues livening my complexion up a bit, making it appear a hair brighter than it is.

It is one of the easiest pieces to throw on in the summer. It’s light weight and breathable, yet still looks sharp and put together.  It doesn’t cling or stick or ride up. Plus, because it’s a romper, you only have to throw on one piece and not fuss over finding a top to go with the bottoms.  That doesn’t mean you can’t style it a million different ways to give it your own spin, and make it appropriate for different occasions (why it has made such frequent rotation in my wardrobe these days).  When I want to feel a little less "nude"  in this look, I throw on a pair of knit grey leg warmers and camel colored heels. The color story holds true to that austere British sensibility, and it keeps at least part of me warm when those Boston nights drop 20 degrees without warning. I should mention, knits are something Rag & Bone do very, very well. 
Or, when I want to be even more covered up, a chiffon and lace top over the romper, topped off with a scarf and black tights does the trick. I feel this is a good example to remind all you ladies that rompers are a huge trend for the summer, and they don’t have to be a one trick pony. Also, just because layering has traditionally been done UNDER the romper, if you want to avoid that parochial look there is nothing to say that you can’t wear a top OVER the piece for a whole new look- just another way to extend the life of that valuable piece. 
Or, instead of a top, you can always throw on a blazer (my solution for everything obviously). Paired with a braid and navy linen wedges it’s an easy go to look for a drink (or two) with coworkers on a random Tuesday night.

It may only be one piece, but but it can possibly one of the most versatile in your wardrobe.

2 comments:

  1. Damn! the creepy hooded shots didn't make the cut! Can I have one for my own personal collection? haha You look gorgeous in all of the pics (as usual)!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. For all of those of you who were asking what thepaperdoll was talking about, the creepy picture in question is now at the top of the post! I look like the birthchild of Wednesday Adams and Cousin IT!

    ReplyDelete