Monday, June 13, 2011

Chefs, Baguettes, and Spies: A Lunchtime Lesson on Fendi

Fendi Zucca Rose Mini Chef bag
I don’t remember a time when my purse wasn’t more like a mobile home.  I’ve somehow always felt it necessary to cart my life around on my shoulder.  The aching back I earned from a 10 lb accessory seemed to be worth having everything I need (and don’t need). Though, I have to admit, my bag always seems to be packed with the wrong things. I never seem to have a pen, Tylenol, hair tie, etc when I need it. But, ask me for two pairs of glasses I don’t even wear, a computer charger, or Kate Somerville skincare samples, and I guarantee you I could probably pull all three out of my bag on any given day (all three happen to be in my purse right now).  Because of this, I would say 90% of my bags are large enough to fit a bowling ball and then some.
Fendi Zucca Rose Mini Chef bag
I do have a few however, that fit the bill when I decide to simplify my life.  On those days, (though very far and few between), and when the sun is shining and the birds are chirping, Fendi’s Zucca Rose Mini Chef bag is the perfect little thing.  I can’t help but smile when I look at this little pouch. It’s just so cute!  The warm cream color, the hand printed details, and soft swooping pleats, all shrunken down into a bite sized morsel make for a precious summer accessory. Everything is more precious when it’s tiny. Even more, all of the characteristic Fendi trademarks: the signature Double F “Zucca" print, the branded hardware; they all play a supporting role instead of becoming the main attraction.  I’m not really one for heavily outwardly branded goods, so if I’m going to do it this is the way to go. The real star here are the hand printed roses. They add a nice dose of color and texture to the otherwise understated baker's hat shaped bag.



This unusual treatment to the fabric, printing and dying the material, has become a Fendi signature over the years…. all starting with Karl Lagerfeld.
Now, we all know Kaiser Karl as the King of the Chanel Empire but, you may not know he has a longer standing history with Rome based Fendi line.  Since 1965 the German designer has collaborated with the brand, reinventing their image, and growing their empire from fur and leather goods, to full ready-to-wear collections, eye ware, timepieces, and even house ware. Lagerfeld, backed by the history and reputation of the Fendi name,  and the support of the 5 (Carla, Paola, Anna, Franca & Alda) Fendi sisters that took over the family business (from their parents and founders Edoardo and Adele Fendi) redefined the  look of fur and leather, the hallmark elements of the Fendi collection.  Both materials became soft and supple, instead of stiff , structured, and heavy.  He reinterpreted fur in a way that transformed the material, often dyed, printed, woven, or shaved, the fur took on an “is it, or isn’t it” quality. This seemed to ease the conscious of the customer. Even though it was real fur, if it was dyed pink or felt like velvet they had less of a problem with it, helping keep the business alive with minimal fuss among the ever growing anti-fur campaigns. (So goes the fashion world I suppose. I feel I should make it clear that I'm not condoning it).   His treatment of leather was equally innovative. He brought back skins that had previously sat in the back corners of the work room, and made them fashionable once again.
And of course, he developed the now instantly recognizable Double F logo of the Fendi brand and their trademark “Zucca” printed wares, that turn the double F into a geometric pattern.
Fendi Zucca Baguette Bag
While Karl, who still remains the creative director of Fendi’s Fur and Women’s Ready-to-Wear divisions, is attributed with launching the brand to cult status it is Silvia Venturini Fendi, the granddaughter of Edoardo and Adele who should be credited with maintaining that status year after year. In her role as Creative Director of Men’s and Women’s Accessories (she is also the Creative Director of Men’s Ready-to-Wear) she has churned out “it bag" after “it bag.”  After the heavily logo based designs of the  80’s and early 90’s that were knocked off to such an incredible degree it became  passé to carry a bag branded across every inch. Fendi, and its signature Zucca look, fell into that category.  Then, a little baguette came to the rescue…. seriously.  It was Silvia’s Baguette Bag that re-launched the Fendi accessory back to cult status. Produced in over 600 variations over the years there was a baguette for every a-lister (and lucky normie) out there.
Julia Stegner carrying classic Fendi Baguette
in an editorial.
She did it again in 2005 with the Spy Bag…
Gwen Stefani carrying the Spy Bag
…and then again in 2006 with the B Bag.                                            
Paris Hiltion carrying Fendi's "B" bag...
She has this bag in at least three other variations
Having spent the past 87  years perfecting their craft (yes that’s right, 87 years, the company was first established in 1925 on  Via del Plebiscito, Rome) Fendi clearly has something special for everyone. It’s no surprise whether you need a discrete little clutch for your eyeliner and cell, or a large “I’m carrying a designer bag!!” slouchy hobo you can lug your life around in, they’ve got it.  My Fendi bag of choice happens to be petite and pale with rose kissed freckles…. Nothing like me at all.                                                                      

No comments:

Post a Comment