Sunday, May 1, 2011

McQueen for a Day Part III:The House of Broderick

Kate Middleton isn't the only one who gets to rock the Alexander McQueen label this week.  While I am not fortunate enough to have the designer’s runway looks or red carpet gowns, my wardrobe is host to some of his more accessible accessories and his diffusion line McQ.

The most prized possession in my wardrobe is this Alexander McQueen Moth Rosette Scarf. The color is the perfect complement to alabaster skin and red hued hair. Although the scarf is part of the Spring 2011 collection the print is a distinct call out of the moth prints seen in McQueen’s Spring 2010 “Plato’s Atlantis” line... the last full collection presented by the designer himself.  I feel like I'm wrapping a little bit of history and a whole lot of genius around my neck when I wear this piece. The scarf is subtle and demure- romantic with a hint of gothic grotesqueness that is just strong enough to keep it from being sickeningly sweet.  As a textile designer myself, I appreciate the manipulative use of repetition, the intricate gradations of colors, and McQueen's modern technique of digital printing. Another thing I love about this scarf- its size. At a whopping 55 x 55 inches the ways to tie and wear this lovely beast are infinite.

Speaking of scarves…While most people wear Alexander McQueen's famous skull motif in scarf form, I choose to sport it on my wrist.

I adore this cuff for a couple of reasons: (aside from the fact that it was given to me by my wonderful boyfriend.)

1)      I think the motif represented on metal is intrinsically a little more "rock star."
2)      It is an accessory not a centerpiece. The bracelet easily spices up any outfit (especially because the neutral color goes with nearly everything) but doesn’t overpower it.
3)   It is unexpected. 

By now, celebrities such as Nicole Richie, Mary Kate Olsen, and Lindsay Lohan have catapulted the skull scarf to cult status. It has become the iconic “must have” piece from the label.

Nicole Ritchie wearing
 Alexander McQueen
 skull scarf
I like that my cuff isn’t quite as trendy as the scarf, and far less knocked off. It also flies under the radar quite nicely, but when it is noticed it makes a big statement.  The unassuming mushroom color as a backdrop to the white skulls insists that you look closely at the piece. While the skulls usually scream "ALEXANDER MCQUEEN" in this case they merely whisper it loudly.
Alexander McQueen wide skull bracelet in mushroom

Both accessories are perfect accompaniments to this McQ tweed blazer from 2010. The safety pin closure is a telltale McQueen emblem that has left its mark season after season.  In fact this year, the first year that Sarah Burton has taken over design for the McQ line in addition to the main line, Burton pays homage to "Lee's" love for tartan and safety pins.  The jacket also contains McQueen’s hallmark element of contrast.  The structured shoulders set off the delicate ruching at the waist, and the menswear fabric is balanced by a feminine cut.


It was more “McQueen for a Day… Or Two,” for me this week.  On Thursday I donned this cobalt blue McQ "Moire"dress… undoubtedly another of my favorites. This is a great example of McQueen's trademark “heritage silhouettes.”   The tailored bodice has darts in just the right places and the perfect amount of stretch in the fabric so that it fits like a glove. The pleating at the hip allows the skirt to lie flat across the front and ruffle at the sides. The shadows and movement this creates makes the dress that much more flattering.  It’s an effortlessly classic silhouette that is updated for 2011 with an exposed double zipper running down the back.  That is one of the most interesting aspects of this dress.  Depending on which angle you stand and the accessories you chose, you can be a traditional Stepford Wife or more akin to a Desperate Housewife (a la Eva Longoria). What else would you expect from the “McQueen” of beautiful of duplicity?

4 comments:

  1. hey thanks for your comment i'm glad you like our posts!
    i love your first outfit!
    stay tuned for the next wardrobe post!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE the photos with the scarf colleen. Keep it up, looks great! :) xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. That scarf is gorgeous!! I love the zipper back on the blue dress. Pure art!! You are gorgeous!! Love u!! Oh and I want that cuff!!

    Kerry

    ReplyDelete