Monday, November 28, 2011

Va Va Versace

There are a few times when a girl (me included) wants to be taken out for a night on the town, dinner and drinks at a swanky restaurant with a killer view... and I don't just mean the view of her general surroundings... she herself wants to be part of that killer view.  Where you look just as confident on the outside as you are feeling on the inside, like that night is yours to own.

While I know the saying goes, "clothes don't make the the man" they certainly HELP the woman achieve that feeling.  When you slip into a dress that fits like a glove, and accentuates all of your best features very little can stop you from feeling fabulous.  Whether it be an amazing  dinner on top of the Eiffel Tower ( even the little one in Vegas) and an exciting show on the strip, or a candlelit dinner in the middle of a basilica and cocktails on a roof deck 57 stories above Marina Bay, its the type of dress that makes you feel just as special as the place you are wearing it.

For me, "that" dress was this Versace number. (Now if I was only as confident finding "THE" dress for another big day in my life.... I digress though, that's a whole other post in itself). For me, this was a dress that I didn't think "Where am I going to wear this??" it was more "Now I need to figure out where I should be taken so I can wear it." I knew the perfect occasion would arise eventually or I would eventually make an occasion happen... either or.

It's the perfect just above the knee length, and made of silk that has just enough stretch to hug you in all the right places.  What looks to be leopard print is actually overlapping images of fabric swatches- a little detail that makes it not your average animal print dress. It still has that "look at me" quality that is let's face it- unavoidable in anything that looks remotely close to animal print, but in definitely a more sophisticated polished way. My favorite detail however, is in the straps.  The straps on the V neck actually wrap around the front, crossing in the back to mimic the subtle V shape and then meet again in the front with a simple architectural black bow. Perfection.


If you are familiar with the rest of Versace's collections, it's fitting that the "WOW!" dress of my wardrobe would be from the atelier.  If anyone gets that va va va voom factor, its Versace. It is what the design house has come to epitomize in the couture world, and is responsible for making it a household name.  While the label (formally Gianni Versace) has been around since 1978, it didn't become a common name on the lips of fashionistas until 1994, thanks to Elizabeth Hurley and this "I have absolutely nothing to hide" black dress by the label.

As early as last Saturday, the label launched its collaboration with H&M... the brand is all a buzz in the fashion world yet again.  Clearly, the active house has had a lot going on for it since 1978, enough so, that I think its history deserves its own post.... and I'm sure Donatella would agree.

No comments:

Post a Comment