Monday, October 24, 2011

Back from the Other Side

I should first off apologize, I dropped off the face of the earth for a while. Actually, I just went to the other side of it. Literally. 26 hours of traveling later, I went from Boston to Singapore. I have to say, it was unreal. Not only is it culturally diverse with some of the most amazing architecture and exotic scenery in the world... it's also a designer junkie's Mecca! Orchard Rd., Singapore's main shopping district, puts Newbury St. to shame. It was seriously fashion paradise.... aside from the 30% markup on everything!

After romping around Malaysia, surrounding myself  with orchids at the Botanic Gardens, visiting Holland Village, Chinatown, Little India, and Marina Bay it was off to Bali for a few days. (ugh life is so hard!)





I don't even know where to start with Bali.... there's a reason it's one of the worlds most visited tourist destinations. The tiny little island that's no bigger than the state of Delaware is a world all its own. The amazing beaches with their rolling surfs, the electric green rice paddies, the amazingly cordial people and the not so cordial but highly entertaining monkeys all help make this island well worth visiting (and the perfect place to break in my new favorite Marc by Marc Jacobs sunglasses).



This little guy was in the market for glasses too....  He's got good taste, he went right for Joe's Armani pair! 









Bali for me, might have well been cloud 9. I was surrounded by gorgeous scenery, and in one of Southeast Asia's largest artisan communities.  From woodworking, to silver, weaving to batik, Bali is home to it all.  In particular, I was excited to be in an area that is considered one of the originators of the batik art form.... one that I am actually trained in.  I studied textile and surface design in college... I chose to concentrate on batik and screen printing, and how you can combine the two. 

What is batik you ask? It's a decorative process in which hot wax is applied to a surface to act as a resist, then the surface is dyed, when the wax is removed from the surface, the waxed area that has been protected from absorbing the dye leaves you with the design you created.

Here are a few of the Batiks I picked up while I was there....

And here are a few I've done on my own....


As you can see, its a medium that allows for several variations in style.  A lot of this comes from the tools you use. Most of us use paint brushes and tjauntings (they are like little pens that allow you to draw with the hot wax) but another traditional tool used in many Indonesian batiks is what is known as a tjap.  These are basically metal stamps, often made of copper or brass that allow the artist to repeat a consistent motif  over and over again.  I was lucky enough to fin an antique one while I was in Ubud.  It's the pride and joy of my studio now.  I couldn't have been any more excited. 


I picked up a few more things in Bali as well... I couldn't pass up these embroidered slippers... the retro shape with that narrow "v" opening at the top is so Chanel Fall 2011. I wonder if they know how on trend they are in their little island.


I also adore this necklace Joe so graciously haggled over for me. This came from a silversmith in Celuk who was nice enough to show us her workshop. It's very John Hardy-esque (Who actually lives in Ubud, Bali).


The best thing I happened to pick up while I was there though, wasn't from Bali at all. In fact, it had traveled just like, me all the way from the United States......


Yup! We're engaged! I... We.... couldn't be happier, and I cant possibly think of a more romantic place to set the scene for our engagement story.  It was breathtaking, and perfect, and by far the most beautiful moment of my life. 


The Samara Villas in Ubud, not only did we stay here, this is where the magical moment took place!

And the ring... it is amazing! Joe designed it himself, using a family heirloom stone for the center of the setting.  It looks new and vintage all at the same time, and has wonderful sentiment built right in. He knows me all too well. Try to ignore my non-manicured hands in these pictures.



He also knows how much I love to multi task,so that top I'm wearing in those first pictures of as as fiances  is of course, one that I will be talking about a little later on.  How fitting that it's Phillip Lim, one of Southeast Asia's very own.

So now that you've seen what's been distracting me lately, hopefully you'll cut me a little slack. We'll get back to somewhat normal very soon... I say somewhat normal because I'm sure from here on out I'll need to throw out wedding planning interruptions every now and then.  I can't wait for this whole new chapter!

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations!

    Grandma Z. used to say that batiks were made to show a story. You'll have to use the one you have and incorporate it into your own pattern to show the joy that Joe has brought you and that you 2 are spreading to the families.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations to both of you Coleen and Jo for the special time you had. We feel proud of having had the opportunity of being your hosts during those moments.
    We will wait for you for your honeymoon!
    All the best,
    Yudi, Stefano and all the staff of The Samara Villas and Restaurant - Ubud Bali.

    ReplyDelete